Today it’s all about Thanksgiving leftovers and clever ways to work them into new dishes! I’m pretty excited for Thanksgiving (and of course Black Friday)! I’m sure by now the menu is finalized and you have a game plan for the day of because you’re just awesome right? Of course! The biggest challenge to work into other dishes is of course the turkey, ham or prime rib. I mean I like turkey sandwiches with extra stuffing but honestly how many turkey sandwiches can you have?
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 pound shredded cooked turkey (preferably dark meat)
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Freshly grated Parmesan
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to coat, adding enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten as needed.
Serve with the Parmesan
These tasty little treats would be perfect to make in the middle of the week with your leftover mashed potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped green onion
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sifted dried bread crumbs
- Peanut oil, enough to fill pan 1/2-inch
**Cook’s Note**: Cook in small batches, giving each croquette at least 2 inches of space around it to not overcrowd the pan. This prevents the croquettes from crumbling while frying.
30 Minute Turkey Chili
Anything under 30 minutes to make catches my attention and this is such a hearty meal for those cold nights.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chipotle chile en adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tablespoon sauce
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (12-ounce) Mexican lager-style beer
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Sliced scallions, cilantro sprigs, avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, and/or tortilla chips, for garnish, optional
Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with the garnishes of your choice.
**Cook’s Note**: A skillet’s larger surface area reduces sauces faster than simmering in a saucepan.
Extra Veggie Frittata
Ok I’m loving this idea for leftover veggies! It’s so simple and easy to make! Perfect snacks for anytime of the day.
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup stuffing
- 2 cups leftover cooked veggies (broccoli or cauliflower, green beans)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 12 (2 3/4-inch) squares of dough (phyllo)
- 6 tablespoons cranberry sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sanding sugar